The trend towards shorter essays means that there is less and less space available for candidates to write their thoughts. To make the most of the space available, you need to write succinct essays with a clear unifying theme. Without a central idea, the essay will bounce around aimlessly from subject to subject, and because of space constraints, you won’t have a chance to pull everything together. So what is the central idea of the essay?
How to choose the central idea for an essay
A few tips will help you choose successful topics for short essays.
- Answer the question. If you have a clear idea of what you want to write about, that’s great. However, the admissions committee won’t be happy if you don’t answer the question posed.
- Concentrate. In a good essay, each paragraph is directly related to the main point. If the following paragraph does not support the idea, rewrite it and throw out everything that is not directly related to the main idea.
- Provide examples. Convince the reader of the logic and credibility of the chosen topic by giving specific examples. For example, if you’re writing about the importance of listening to leaders, show from your own experience why this skill is important, or what benefits it provides to the leader.
- Don’t forget the conclusion. Summarise in the last paragraph or sentence of the essay. This will reinforce the chosen theme and give your work a finishing touch. Remember that the shorter the essay, the less space you have. Paragraphs don’t have to be long, you don’t have to give many arguments. Just make sure that you communicate your point clearly and give a couple of examples to defend it.
There are four steps in the search for ideas
- Underline the parts of the assignment and write them down as subheadings of the plan. Define your position if you are asked for an opinion.
- Sketch out ideas in the form of a bulleted list. At this stage you need to ask yourself “Why?” and write down 2-4 ideas for each part of the assignment.
- Come up with strong examples that explain your ideas. Cross out ideas that are difficult to develop, leave only those that have strong potential.
- Reread the assignment and make sure all the ideas are on topic. Cross out ideas that take the essay away from the topic.
Essay writing tips
- Read essays of experienced writers. With their help, you will be able to highlight features that are interesting to you. According to experts, essays that are emotional and vivid without losing their narrative artistry are most valued.
- Familiarise yourself with the topic and the literature on it. It often happens that the first impression may differ from the one formed after deep analysis and study of the issue. You don’t want to be seen by the reader as an uneducated lout, do you? Even if your position is not popular, the main thing is to argue it with facts.
- A well-thought-out plan is the key to success. The main advantage of essays is the ability to get away from the usual structure, you can write a spiral, a loop or in the style of Quentin Tarantino, scattering fragments throughout the text, no one will judge you for that. The main thing is that the reader can understand your point of view. And if you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, no one will scold you for the classic structure.
- Let’s not forget the sister of talent. Even if you like to go off the deep end, it’s a good idea not to do that while you’re writing. Lengthy essay writing is not welcome. So try to avoid overcomplicated sentences.
- Don’t deceive yourself. If, after studying the topic, it seems to you that your thought is wrong or within public opinion, then don’t be afraid of it! Express it! Many geniuses were not immediately understood.
Everyone decides for himself whether to take our advice or not. An essay is a creative work that makes your grey matter move without being constrained by frames or other people’s opinions. If you are offered an “optional” essay assignment at university, don’t be afraid to take it, in addition to extra points, it will also become interesting for you, because you can also dig into yourself, describing an opinion on the given topic.
The purpose of an essay is to pour out all your thoughts and ideas about the topic or issue raised on the sheet. The topic of an essay can be almost anything: from the industriousness of ants, to the significance of human life on the scale of the universe. The style of the essay is free! There are practically no frameworks. You should only observe the culture of speech, and, of course, do not break the logic of the narrative. The most important thing in an essay is your opinion! And if it happens that you are unable to write a paper and you have to submit it, the experts at more details here are ready to help. You only need to order an essay and the next day you will receive a paper for which your teacher will give you an excellent grade.